What will happen at the Virtual Book Festival?
The Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival has two parts. The first part, called Story & Activity Time, is two weeks long and features a collection of pre-recorded videos of author readings, illustrator presentations, and entertaining demos. Part two is a one day Main Stage event called Red Carpet Time. Presentations during Red Carpet Time are more entertainment focused. September 26, 2020 is the air date for the Red Carpet Time.
What is the difference between Story & Activity Time (SAT) and Red Carpet Time (RCT)?
Story & Activity Time (SAT) – The Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival will launch with a two week “pre-event” Story & Activity Time (SAT) which features a collection of 50 pre-recorded videos of author readings and illustrator presentations. The SAT will be grouped by book genres and will be available until next Festival season.
The Main Stage Event called – Red Carpet Time (RCT) – is reserved for the celebrity readings and New York Times bestselling authors. RCT will also feature entertainment presentations. RCT will be a one-day feature set in two sessions. One session in the morning and the second session in the afternoon. The date for the RCT is tentatively set for Saturday, September 26, 2020
How can I participate?
We have two new ways for you to participate in the Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival:
A Presenter will submit a video promoting their book, product or service to be enjoyed during Story & Activity Time along with a commercial to be used during our promotional period. An Advertiser is someone who submits a marketing message and link to promote their product or service during the promotional period.
What is the cost?
To be a Presenter or an Advertiser is $295.
This price includes:
- A listing on our KidsBookFestival website until next Festival season.
- A listing in this season’s Festival Guide eBook.
- Promoted at least 3 times on Book Festival’s social media channels.
Please click HERE to visit the Virtual Festival Exhibitors page and download the application.
When is the deadline for submitting my application?
Current application deadline is August 21, 2020. Please click HERE to visit the Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival Exhibitors page to get the application. You’ll also need to print and sign the Terms & Conditions for Exhibitors; you won’t need to send that in but we ask that you retain your signed copy in case we ask for it.
How do I sell my books?
Part of our mission is to support authors and illustrators to reach their audiences and sell books! There will be many global portals for selling books, artwork or services.
- In the video presentation, it’ll be important to include the method you would like the viewer to purchase your products — whether that be your personal website or one of the bookseller websites. This information should be included in your video’s closing.
- Your name, book title and link will be on the KidsBookFestival.com website and will remain active until next Festival season.
- Your name, book title and link will be on the page where your video will be shown and viewed.
- Your name, book title and link will be on the Orange County Children’s Book Festival Facebook page along with your video presentation.
Your name, book title, link, and video presentation will be on the Orange County Children’s Book Festival YouTube channel.
How do I videotape my session?
This video presentation is your time to shine! We want you to look and sound wonderful. To help you achieve this we would like for you to follow the below instructions:
- Today’s Smartphones do a great job of video taping. Here are a few tips for taping a marketable video:
- When you use your phone to record this video please be sure to shoot the video with the phone positioned HORIZONTALLY. It will lay out better on social media.
- Have a very quiet place to record.
- For the best sound quality, you should use a lavalier microphone. They can be purchased online with pricing as low as $30.
- Make sure you have excellent light on your face and NOT behind you.
- Check your background. Make sure it’s pleasing and uncluttered.
- Speak clearly.
- Remember the age of your viewers and direct your reading to that specific age group.
- Have fun while reading and be expressive.
- Be prepared and practice!
- We will provide you an outline for you to follow so you’ll do a great presentation. This outline could be used as a script. It’ll be sent to you once we receive your application and payment.
- Make sure you have and show your book or artwork or product.
- If you have access to a studio and would prefer to have your video done professionally, that would be fine too.
How will this be promoted?
This Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival will be promoted with the exceptional support of our loyal media partners. The below Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival marketing support is huge and we are expecting great results!
Here’s the promotion team:
- The Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) has committed to promote the Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival on their social media channels, in their eNewletter which goes to all district schools administration staff and parents, a letter to each school district superintendent and notification to every classroom teacher. This access is unprecedented for a nonschool function!
- PBS SoCal 15-second promo video at the start of each children’s scheduled programming, included in their eblasts and on their website.
- OC Family Magazine and the OC Register
- OC Family Magazine is featuring the Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival with a full page advertisement for two months.
- The OC Register will feature a Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival story.
- Radio stations
- Air1 & Positive Empowering Radio
- Estrella Media
In addition to airtime, these stations also will be promoting the Virtual Orange County Children’s Book Festival on their social media pages.
I want to participate! What do I do?
We’re so glad to have you! All you have to do is fill out the Presenter/Advertiser application and send in your payment with the completed application. Everyone fills out the same application no matter if you’re an author, illustrator, publisher, or company. You’ll also need to print and sign the Terms & Conditions for Exhibitors; you won’t need to send that in but we ask that you retain your signed copy in case we ask for it. Presenters can email their application to Susan Delaney email@example.com. Advertisers can email their application to Tina Crawford firstname.lastname@example.org.